MISOA Membership for the 2022 Season
Check this page for updated information
Note that the deadline for your application will most likely be in January or February 2022 for the 2022-23 season.
Letters of Recommendation.
You must have 2 letters of recommendation from a NISOA member in good standing with at least five years’ experience of officiating, NISOA Assessor, or NISOA Clinician OR Submit 1 recommendation from a NISOA or Conference Assignor.
You must pass the NISOA Qualifying Exam with a score of at least 75%
You must have at least three years of game experience at the high school level or U17 and higher in USSF games. Officiate as a referee in at least 25 games at the high school, competitive, amateur, professional, or other games that the Chapter deems to be at the appropriate competitive level. The games selected to meet the 25 game requirement must include a combination of officiated games as both referee and assistant referee at these levels.
You must meet the NISOA requirement for the physical fitness test or be exempt from the NISOA test based the equivalent USSF fitness test based on the NISOA policy. Click here to find out about the NISOA Fitness Test
Complete all of the above requirements within nine months of the initial date of application. Submit all dues and fees. Be at least 18 years of age. Any USSF National or PRO referee is automatically qualified for membership and is not required to complete the above except for must apply, pass the exam and submit all fees and dues with the application. All applicants must apply through a local chapter.
An Example from the 2018 Process:
This is the process to be used to pursue 2018 candidacy. Here is what is needed:
1. By February 6 – 3 letters of recommendation – 2 need to be written letters of recommendation from NISOA officials (preferably MISOA) in good standing; 1 is to be a written letter of recommendation from a collegiate coach.
2. By February 28 – Complete the NISOA NCAA test with a 75% score, to be administered by MISOA Secretary.
3. By February 28 – Have an on-field assessment by an approved member of MISOA.
4. By March 15 – Applicants will be approved for membership by the MISOA Board providing steps 1-3 have been completed.
The Board will vote on new members at the March Board meeting.
5. By March 31 – Complete application form (linked below) & return it with payment to MISOA Secretary.
6. By March 31– When approved for membership, and upon receipt of membership fees, new MISOA officials will be entered into the schedule pool for Fall assignments.
7. Annually (at August preseason clinic) – Pass NISOA physical and attend 3 MISOA annual meetings.
8. Years 1,2, 3 – New members remain on probation status for 3 years following approval.
9. Accepted referee is responsible for completing up to 5 assessments (and assuming payment responsibility for) over the course of probationary period.
The purpose of this timetable is to help ensure your full participation in the fall 2018 schedule.
Thank you for your interest,